Sunday, October 25, 2009

Let 'em Be Kids!

I have a bone to pick with some of my fellow women. Especially those who have daughters. Now none of us mothers of daughters, well, not many of us anyway, look at our little baby girls on our laps in the hospital or their crib at home and smilingly say "Gosh I hope she grows up to be a skank!" If you don't want your kid displaying skank-like behavior, having sex when they're still wearing training bras, and getting pregnant before they're out of high school, stop modeling that behavior! Geez - some people just don't get it...

Now last summer we were all shown (by a master) what happens when we just tell kids "Don't do it - ' 'cuz you'll make baby Jesus cry". Yeah, that abstinence thing didn't work for me and its still not working all these years later. But neither is the subliminal advertising that goes on all over the place. Especially Subway. The hub and I stopped in for lunch today and during the course of our 6 inch turkey & ham two women walked in with their girls and we were left shaking our heads.

Mom number one had uncombed hair and Spongebob Squarepants jammy pants on. No, she didn't look skanky exactly, but she looked slovenly and there was her kid drinking it all in. How hard is it to drag a comb through the locks and toss on a pair of jeans?Can't fit your jeans? I had a giant lard-butt for many years and I discovered the joy of elastic - waist pants. Comfy as jammies. Feel like jammies. Are NOT jammies. And maybe it was her aunt, not her mom, but aunties are role models, too.

Mom number two was wearing a pair of sweatpants. Marginally better than jammy pants. But these had the word "Juicy" plastered across the butt. That butt was certainly juicy. It was HUGE! , still its tacky to advertise on your ass. I've seen those kind of sweats with all kinds of words on them "pink, cute, beautiful, perky, and rock-hard." Ew. I don't care and I bet an eight year old (they can read, you know) is mortified when mommy describes the goods right there on her tushy for everyone to see. But the message is there.

In years of working with kids, I noticed that it seemed like families in which Mom wears skanky clothes - not just pants but slutty tops as well, there is a lot of discussion about boyfriends and what boys like. Conversely, boys are getting the same messages, but in a "you want this in a girl" kind of way. The result? Pregnant teenagers. And if you have a teenager who gets pregnant and you're a complete idiot, you will parade said fertile teen on the national stage and after they break up her baby daddy will pose for Playgirl magazine.


I will have to look at the pictures because my curiosity will overcome my taste and good sense plus they will probably be posted on my scandal rags online. Then I will have more things in my head that won't leave. And moms with juicy butts will probably tell their daughters that this is a "hot guy - he'd like girls in mini skirts". Message sent and recieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment