Monday, November 16, 2009

Inspector Gadget D.D.S.

Sometime in the last year, I broke a tooth. Last time I went in for a cleaning, they found the broken tooth and made me an appointment to get it fixed. I forgot to go to that appointment. See, I have very ambivalent feelings about dentists; not the people themselves, but all those tools and the sounds and smells. Well, I went in for my current cleaning last week and my tooth had not miraculously fixed itself. Even though I willed it to. Stupid tooth.

So, I went into the dentist's office today, hardly shaking at all. I sat gingerly on a wing chair in the waiting room. I prefer the sofa, but another Nervous Nellie was parked there. She got called in first. We avoided eye contact as she disappeared into the back. I sent silent good thoughts her way. The door opened again almost immediately and they called my name.

I marched back into the bowels of the dentistry and plopped in the really comfy chair ( I really want one of those! ) and my dentist came in. I've been going to this same dentist for nearly 25 years and I adore him. He's a total gadgetophile, so I know my teeth and gums are state of the art. Plus the hygienist always loads me up with enough floss that I never have to buy it. So I score big time!

Today, I got numbed up beyond all imagination, then the dentist and his assistant performed the most intricate manual ballet with water squirters, air sprayers, sucking devices, and wads of cotton and gauze. At one time or another, there were lights, cameras, and action in my mouth. I didn't know my lips could stretch that far! I was fine until he started up the drill which makes that whiney sound. As soon as I hear that, every muscle in my body clenches and Dr. Nice Man asks "Does it hurt?" I say "Ngo - ith dust the sownd". He says "I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do about that." I bet if a method to get rid of that sound exists he'll get one and if it doesn't, he'll invent it.


He'd have retired years ago but there are always new dentist toys. In fact, today as he was numbing my bottom lip to Angelina proportions he told me he'd ordered a device that can numb just one tooth at a time. It hadn't come yet - but soon! I knew I should have forgotten this appointment, too.... There was a really cool thing, though, after he got my tooth drilled out, he took pictures with his computer gizmo and sent the photo to a little magic machine. It carved up a chunk of toothish looking stuff into exactly the shape that fit my tooth! A little glue, some drool and I was on my way with a brand new crown and I didn't have to wait with a temporary for a week.

Here are four words I never thought would issue from my brain: I love my dentist! If he ever does retire, I'll have to haul my comfy chair to his house and wait on his lawn til he comes out to check my teeth. I'll take along some dental toys to entice him. It could work...

No comments:

Post a Comment