Thursday, February 18, 2010

OK. I'm Shallow But I'm Right About This

What is it with people from Australia? They are all ridiculously good looking. I'm watching the women's snowboarding and the Australian girl won the gold. Sure, Olympic athletes are at their physical peak, but that doesn't change their facial features. Lots of those ladies were pretty, but that Aussie looked like she was the product of Disney's imagineers!

I've known several Australians in my life and they've all been intimidatingly gorgeous. My first Aussie friend was in eighth grade. It was when the model Twiggy was hot and my friend is the only person besides the Twigster who was able to pull off the penciled in eyelashes that looked so cool on magazine covers. I tried to replicate them and found out what a scratched cornea feels like.

I spent the night with her one night and developed an accent that was truly obnoxious and mercifully short lived. This has nothing to do with the relative hotness of the Australian people but it reminded me of my old friend and I was free associating. They picked an Australian actress to play the Virgin Mary, for Pete's sake...Mel Gibson was a total biscuit before he got all skeevy and started impregnating Russians. Nicole Kidman and her equally Australian hubby produced a child who will probably grow up surrounded by unicorns and glitter (She'll be gorgeous)

Speaking of Russians, there are many stunning ones, but then out pops a Yevgeny Pleschenko. He may be a good ice skater, but he is not an attractive man. Yes he has the body of a god, but the face of, well, if my dog looked like that... you know the rest. I've just never seen a homely Aussie. It doesn't matter, of course, in the grand scheme what country produces the best looking people. I just find it fascinating that Australia spawns only pretty ones.

Do they toss all the ugmos to the sharks? Is it some kind of bizarre genetic engineering? I don't think so since genetic engineering is a recent development and Aussies have been handsome for a long time. Aussies started out as wretched refuse just like we Americans did. Maybe the country is so far off the beaten path that ugly people never made it there. On the ship, the less attractive were put ashore so people wouldn't have to look at them or they opted to go ashore so they could stop wearing bags on their heads.

Maybe that's where beauty-challenged everywhere else people come from. On the way to Australia, their ancestors were dumped in France, Italy. Russia, the US, and all the other places in the world. They were the wretched refuse of the wretched refuse. But beauty is truly only skin deep and my idea of drop dead gorgeous might be somebody else's notion of Quasimodo.

It could have something to do with the laid back attitude they have down under there. No stress makes for fewer wrinkles. So does Botox but that's cheating. I'm just going to forget trying to see the why of it and just enjoy the fact that it is. I'd like to go visit the country some day and see if my observation holds up. I'm not sure about me, bit the hub would fit in nicely there. He's a bit of a biscuit, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment