Saturday, December 26, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

The hub unit and I are supposed to walk 10,000 steps each day. This is to keep the flab at bay. It works for the most part but it gets a tad dull to walk around the little lake in our neighborhood over and over, I mean, its cool in spring when there are baby ducks, great blue herons that eat baby ducks and pelicans that don't do anything to baby ducks but are my favorite bird so I wanted to give them a shout out.

In winter there is nothing but kind of ratty ducks and Canada geese that are no longer welcome at home. Plus, they're doing work on the lakeside and the path so its a little uneven. I was kvetching about the lack of an interesting and smooth walking path when the hub had a stroke of brilliance. He suggested that we head up to San Francisco to walk. The man is a freaking genius!

San Francisco is perfect because it has smooth sidewalks, ratty pigeons instead of ratty ducks and shopping! One day, we walked down to the Farmer's Market and had fish tacos. Another time we met a friend and wound up at a really good Italian restaurant for lunch. Then we went into Shreve & Co. and a salesman let us try on a ring that cost one million dollars. (Said in Dr. Evil voice with little finger extended...)

Today, we found a really good taqueria and had a grilled chicken wet burrito. We do more than eat, of course, we walk and walk and walk until my hips hurt and my toes bleed. We usually end up finding something cool in a store window and I convince the hub that we really need it. Done shopping, walking and eating, we limp back to the car or BART and make our way home.

Burrito notwithstanding, it has been working. When we eat, we share and we walk our butts off. Excuse me while I bust out a few verses of "I Left My Butt in San Francisco". Tony Bennett, eat your heart out!

No comments:

Post a Comment