Friday, December 18, 2009

Helpy Helperton

I finally got off my butt and started wrapping Christmas presents today. It was either that or make more cookies and I'm trying to lose weight not pile the lard back on. First, I had to pull the presents out of all my cunning hiding places. Well, my closet. So, I got the presents out and piled them on the coffee table. Then I went in search of the wrapping paper.

We have a plastic wrapping paper caddy which is stored in the garage. Our garage resembles that room at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark where they stash the ark. Only our garage is less organized. A lot less. I knew the general vicinity of the wrapping paper, but not the exact location. A little bit of poking around with a broom handle and I found it on a shelf.

More poking dislodged the caddy and, surprisingly, it slid down to me without spilling its contents all over the floor or hitting me in the face which I was expecting but not looking forward to. I hauled it into the living room and deposited it on a chair. Now I needed tape and scissors. I found two of each because I lose things in the blink of an eye.

I had the TV on and as I was settling down to work, I looked up at the screen and saw Martha Stewart making brownies with Snoop Dogg. It was so weird I had to watch. I decided to eat lunch. A chunk of leftover lasagna later, Snoop was done and Martha was frosting a snow globe cookie. I settled down again and finally started wrapping presents.

The hub and I have an eight month old kitten who is very cute and helpful. His name is Wilson and the sight of paper, tape and ribbon flying all around the room got his little kitty motor running. In fact, he got so revved up that the attacked the Christmas tree and pulled off everything he could reach. He can reach really high because he's a good jumper.

The problem is that I am totally smitten with this little mammal. I'm such the proud parent "Look - he's pooping outside!" "Where's the camera? Wilson's stretching!" "Shh - turn off the alarm, he's sleeping..." He was running all around, crashing into walls, furniture, presents, and completely charming the heck out of me.

Meanwhile, the Christmas presents, which I am usually anal about wrapping perfectly ( I don't even cross the ribbon on the bottom of the package - I do it under the bow - like I said - anal .)
look like they were wrapped by a third grader with eye/hand coordination issues. Maybe that's why Wilson came into our life, to keep me from being anal about anything. 'Cause that was all I had!

Well, the presents are wrapped ( at least covered in paper ) and stashed under the tree. This is the first year in a decade that we have been able to leave them there. Our little Cairn Terrier had territory issues and he would mark anything we left on the floor so we knew it was his. He passed away last January, though, so now the presents are safe. Except for claw marks...

No comments:

Post a Comment